Saturday, May 2, 2009

Bright Beginnings 5k

I have done very few 5k's. They're very different than the longer races, and it was time for me to test myself. I had four goals for today:


* Set a PR (under 27:15)

* Don’t walk

* Negative splits (run the first miles slower than the last)

* Stay in Zone 4 for the first 2 miles, then zone 5a/b

 

Back in April 2006, I ran the Bright Beginnings 5k . It was my second 5k ever. I was soooo nervous. I had never been to Hains Point before.  I clearly remember how foreign it all was and how uneasy I felt.


Today, as I waited for the race to start, I realized I was having a full-circle moment, as Oprah likes to call it.  Quite a contrast from 3 years ago.


30 or so races later, I now have a routine.  I still get a little nervous for races, but it is no big deal.  Now Hains Point is a regular training location for me.


This morning I was set to go. Temps were in the 60s, humid with a light breeze.


The race start was delayed, but it didn’t phase me. I was ready!


Hit mile 1 at 8:10, feeling good.


Took a couple of turns and a volunteer announced we’d already gone 2 miles. My watch said around 15:something. I didn’t have a GPS or footpod on me, but I knew that wasn’t right. About a minute and a half later, I hit the mile 2 marker at 17:05. Oops, slowing down, but still within reach of the goal. I was paying close attention to my heart rate.


I was starting to hurt. My heart and lungs were tired. Fortunately, my legs felt good.


As I ran I was thinking of many stories I have heard recently about mental toughness. I knew I had it in me.


Kept moving those feet. I focused on keeping the turnover rate (cadence) high. Step, step, step, step, propelling the body forward…..


I can see the mile 3 marker up ahead. Looking at my watch, it is unclear if I can make it there quickly enough. I arrive and the clock says 25:something.


Am I really going to make it?


Keep going. Tough it out. Step, step, step, step. I cross the finish line. Whew.


So?


Goal:  Set a PR (under 27:15)

YES! 26:28. 47 seconds faster!


Goal:  Don’t walk

Yes! No Galloway method for Cat today.


Goal:  Negative splits (run the first miles slower than the last)

Not quite. Need to work on this.


Goal: Stay in Zone 4 for the first 2 miles, then zone 5

Yes! I’m beginning to think there is something to this heart rate training.

 

Tomorrow I ride 60 miles – 16 miles further than ever before. I made good use of the stick this after the race and hope that I am feeling good and ready tomorrow. 

 

 

3 comments:

  1. So proud, so impressed. Go miwc! PR followed by 60? Doubly impressed. Hope the feeling has come back to the hands and recovery nutrating and sleep was plentiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME job, Cat!! I haven't seen a time like that in a long time, so I'm doubly impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. fantastic! i'm am so far behind in blog reading. That's an AWESOME 5k time!

    ReplyDelete