Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Race for the Cure


Saturday morning I woke up bright and early (like most weekend days, I’m afraid) to participate in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. What a morning!

I ran this race as a show of support for the cause, but more significantly, to support my friend and fellow Junior Leaguer, K. She has been working hard this year to get herself in better shape, and I am so impressed by her efforts.

Over lunch recently I tried to convince her to join me for the Bright Beginnings 5k. I didn’t exactly succeed, but I was thrilled when she contacted me and said that she’d like to try the Race for the Cure.

It was so fun helping her get ready for her first ever race. I told her that any question she might have been thinking probably bounced around my brain at some point or another, so she should ask away.

And yes, I remember wondering whether there would be water and bathrooms at the start, and whether I should wear my race number in front or in the back.

We arrived at the start with time to spare, and then some. After waiting around and listening to speeches for 30 minutes after the stated start time, we were off. It was a fun day! We loved that the course was marked with kilometer markers, which meant we broke it down into fifths.

As with most races, towards the end things got even more challenging. That’s when you start to hurt and wonder if you’re going to make it. But K held strong, and at my urging (okay, insistence) even jogged across the finish line. Woo-hoo!

I will never forget the look of joy on her face as she completed her first 5k. I am honored to have been part of this race, and this day. Way to go, my friend!

5 comments:

  1. awesome! what fun. isn't it a great feeling to be the expert?! good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's just the best feeling - introducing new people to the joy of exercise and the finish line. I was hoping to do the same for my parents on July 4th but that's not going to work out apparently. Yay for you, and super yay for your friend K!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful race for you both! Way to support K. and a great cause too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought those speeches were never going to end! I kept waiting for them to say something like "And now for a reciting of The Great Gatsby..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to K! I nearly cried when I completed my first 5k and my second was even more emotion (it was -15 degrees outside).

    ReplyDelete