Tuesday, June 30, 2009

What is Ironman?

Ironman Triathlon is the ultimate endurance event. I won’t bore you with the history but if you’re interested, you can read all about it on Wikipedia.

To give my non-triathlete friends and idea of what this race means, I came up with a description that I think paints a picture of how far and how long we’ll be going:

Imagine that you go to the pool and swim 160 laps (i.e., 2.4 miles).

Then you get on your bike and bike from DC to Baltimore and back (112 miles).

Afterwards you run a marathon, or the equivalent of running from DC to Herndon (26.2 miles).

Sound like a long day?

(Next time you see a 140.6 sticker, you'll know what it means.)

Obviously some people will finish faster than others. Imagine that you get up one morning, and go for a walk at 7 am. And you walk, and walk, and walk, and you don’t stop walking until 10:30 p.m.

Yes, that is how long I will be racing.

And I won’t just be walking.

Okay, now I am freaking myself out again…

Finally, it occurred to me over the weekend that if I were to drive to the race in Panama City, Florida, I could possibly do so in less time than it would take me to actually complete the Ironman. [The 993-mile car trip, according to Google Maps, would take around 15 hours. I expect/hope to finish IM between 15 and 16 hours.]

Scary.

Now I have to go to bed. I need my sleep.

2 comments:

  1. This made me laugh. I had to explain Ironman to a 9-year old - that was fun! And when I finished explaining it he looked at me asked "WHY"?? Good question!

    And for the time - it took us 15 hours to get to Mooseman and I was exhausted. All I kept thinking was "all I've done is sat on my butt and I'm tired, how am I suppose to do Ironman where I have to MOVE my butt?!"

    But I'm better now! Trust in the training!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! I imagine that after writing a post like this before bed you felt the same way I would feel in grad school after checking my bank balance on a Sunday night....overwhelmed and stressed. And then it would take me forever to go to bed!

    ReplyDelete