Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Now what?

After race weekend, I planned to give my body a full week off. Yes, off! As in no running, no swimming, no biking, and no weight-lifting. I can’t remember the last time I took more than a couple of days off from exercise, but I knew I needed it. My calves, plantar fascia, and Achilles were telling me so.

I thought I might go a little crazy without the exercise, but the combination of the park and cruise activity, and with the mellow vacation vibe made it all fine. It was actually pretty nice.

Now I am back in the swing of things after a GREAT vacation. Admittedly, while better, my ailments are still present. It is time for a Dr. Keith visit, for sure.

I’m holding off on planning any races for at least another month, but at least I am at a point where registering for a (short) triathlon (and gasp, swimming again) seem reasonable.

2010 is going to be the year of yoga, I decided. I’ve been going to the weekly class at my work gym, and am looking into other options. I even went to the yoga class offered on my cruise.

After discussing developing my yoga abilities, I jokingly asked my friend Beth whether there were any yoga competitions or endurance yoga events. Hehe. I know that is not what it’s about and I’m looking forward to experiencing the benefits of yoga.

Yes, it is challenging for this type-A girl, but I can do it. I like the idea of breathing deeply, improving my posture, being more present in the moment/more mindful, and of course, having more flexibility and core strength. Maybe I should change my blog title to Cat’s Journey to Becoming a Yogi.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Cat -- I used to go to Tranquil Space and loved it. I went to the one in Dupont but I think there is one near you now. Good luck with it.
    -Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cat, I practice hot yoga or bikram yoga and absolutely love it. Feel free to join me -- I usually go super early during the week but also on Saturdays at 8 am or Sundays at 9 am. I never thought I would enjoy yoga but I've been practicing bikram almost 4 years now.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yoga rocks. I think Bikram would definitely qualify as "endurance yoga".

    ReplyDelete