Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Carbs




Pasta, bread, rice, cereal, CUPCAKES. Are they really so bad? According to Friel and the Paleo diet, carbs are okay, but only at certain times (and in certain amounts). These times are pretty much right before, during, and after workouts. The rest of time the Paleo diet recommends eating a combination of lean meats (including fish/seafood) and fruits and vegetables.

I had a really good swim this morning. I decided to forego (aka skip) the team workout at 5:30 am and sleep later and swim at the local HS pool (aka dirty, nasty, ghetto pool) since I had a doctor’s appointment that allowed me a later morning departure. Like I said, the swim went well. I swam longer and further than I ever have on my own before. The whole time I was feeling pretty impressed with myself.

When I was done, however, I calculated how far I went, and then that little nagging voice that chides “you’re a slowpoke” started creeping into my head. I know, I know, I’ve come so far. I am really proud of myself. Last year at this time I had never swam the .9 miles that is part of an Olympic distance tri. And this morning I did it, no problem. And I swam freestyle the entire time.

I started to ask myself what I have to do to get faster. Keep practicing. And practicing. I am. What else? Well, I can slim down a little. That would help me in all three parts of a tri. So what would that take? Thankfully, I am at a healthy weight. Admittedly, I could lose a few pounds. But the truth is, I love food.

So the question is whether it is worth whatever sacrifices would be necessary for me to lose a few pounds. I don’t know. In all likelihood, I am never going to get on the podium at a triathlon. There is no money or other tangible award as an incentive for me to finish a race faster? Why, then, do I work so hard to get better? Is it worth affecting my enjoyment of food?

I love, love, luuuuuuv carbs. Truth be told, I’d more easily become a vegetarian, even a vegan, than give up my carbs. [I’ve tried it and it ain’t pretty.] Yes, I love cupcakes, but really I don’t eat them that often. The problem is that whole grains are the backbone of my diet. Shredded wheat or oatmeal for breakfast, yogurt with low fat granola as a morning snack, stir-fry or something with brown rice/whole wheat pasta for lunch.

I will be giving this some thought as I continue to train. Thoughts welcome.

For more info on the Paleo diet, see http://www.trainingbible.com/pdf/Paleo_for_Athletes_Cliff_Notes.pdf

1 comment:

  1. from everything i've read, going faster is a matter of practice PLUS tweaks to your stroke. I've got a great swim coach now and i'll never be fast, but she got me way faster in a hurry.

    i don't think you need to lose an OUNCE. You're training for an Ironman! You might want to see a nutritionist though, for some tweaks. I saw that one who came to d.c. tri last year. she's great.

    ReplyDelete