Friday, April 17, 2009

Great Response and Columbia Brick-Nic

It has been a few days and the decision to register for Ironman is beginning to sink in. I am overwhelmed by all of the support I have felt from everyone. Thank you! I get emotional just thinking about it. Please keep it coming.

While I have received almost all positive reactions, some of the negative reactions have taken me by surprise. No worries, though. I know that I want to do this. I know that I can accomplish anything I set my mind to. Sure, this will not be easy. It will be time consuming. It is way more swimming and biking than I have ever done before. But as a good friend often tells me, if it is not hard, why do it.


On Wednesday. my fabulous, wonderful, genius chiropractor (Dr. Keith Schreffler –
http://www.schrefflerchiropractic.com/) worked me over. He identified the issue as my popliteus muscle. It was seriously on fire, and I think he fixed it. Yesterday’s spin session was fine. Fingers are crossed for this weekend.




Speaking of this weekend, tomorrow is the big day. No, not a race. The annual DC Tri Club Columbia Brick-nic. If you’re not familiar with the term brick, it means doing back-to-back workouts involving two disciplines, most commonly cycling and running. (I heard that it is called a brick because that is how your legs feel as you start running after getting off the bike.) Tomorrow’s event is called the brick-nic because after we bike and run we have a big cookout (picnic). Get it? Fun times!

Last year, the brick-nic was a tough day for me. Columbia is known for being an extremely difficult course. Thanks to my co-worker and friend Joe for convincing me way back when - late 2007 - to sign up for Columbia as my first tri ever. So last year, I showed up at the brick-nic, which is designed as a prep for the actual Columbia Triathlon, totally unprepared for what was about to occur.


It was a comedy of errors. Most who know me have heard about this day. So many mistakes:

  • I didn’t know how to properly inflate my tires (in other words, I felt them, they weren’t flat, so I figured I was good to go). I was riding around with them half inflated, which makes pedaling much more difficult.
  • I had my tire on incorrectly, and the brakes were rubbing against in the whole time. That’ll slow you down.
  • I forgot my cue sheet (aka directions). I had no idea where I was going.
  • I did not yet own a bike jersey, and wore clothes with no pockets. I had no place to store my phone, or more importantly, my gels. [Gels are liquid nutrition that athletes use while training/racing.] I stuck the gels in the leg of my shorts, and lost them in the first 15 minutes.
  • I was not yet comfortable enough on the bike to reach for an use my water bottle.

I got lost. I struggled on each and every hill. I was hungry. I was tired.

Did I mention getting lost? That really hurt. I wound up doing 30 miles instead of 25. It was terrible and so frustrating. I just kept telling myself that when I got back to the park I would be rewarded with a hot dog. My favorite summertime junk food.

I finally made it back from the ride and my fellow club members were all hanging out having lunch (having already finished the bike AND the run). I longingly gazed at the grill, but a couple of folks convinced me I should do the brick and go for a short run.

I did about 2.5 miles, which took about 30 minutes. By the time I got back there was NO FOOD. Nothing. Everything was packed up. Grills were off. That is when I lost it. It had been about 3.5 hours of stress, hard work, and frustration. I was soooo hungry. I was overwhelmed. And I was upset because this day did not bode well for the upcoming triathlon. What had I gotten myself into. All I wanted was a hot dog!!

That said, my friends, tomorrow I am going to ROCK the Columbia course.

*Now I have Ms. Piggy (who is not only much prettier than my old borrowed bike, but is lighter, has much better components, and actually fits me properly).

*I have learned about proper pedal stroke and hill climbing.

*I have pockets in my shirt and shorts, AND I also have a bento box (it holds gels, tissues, keys, money…whatever I want). See left.

*I have binder clips which I will use to hold the cue sheet that I will remember to bring.

*Most notably, I have friends in the club now – unlike last year when I was a newbie and didn’t know anyone. I have these phone numbers programmed into my phone – and the phone will not be in the back of my pants sliding down to my crotch. Okay, TMI. Sorry.

*If need be, I will use said phone to call these nice friends and request that they save me a hot dog this time.

I am still slow. But I am a better cyclist. I am nervous, but excited. I have a debt to settle with Columbia. Tomorrow I will practice the course. In one month, I will conquer it.

1 comment:

  1. I just finally bought a Bento Box on Wednesday. I used it for the rest of that ride (bought it while on my ride, stopping to say hi to my coach at my LBS). I can't wait to use it for my long rides this summer, it will make life so much easier! Oh, and I've also heard the brick description as Bike -Run - Ick. :D

    ReplyDelete