Saturday, August 22, 2009

Doc Visit

Thanks everyone for all of the concern about my hair. I really do appreciate it. And the advice is very welcome.


Just to be clear, objectively, my hair doesn’t look that bad. It doesn’t look as healthy as it used to, but it is really okay.


In fact, a coworker recently complimented me on my new cut. Of course, I explained that the short layers (read: pieces) at the top of my head were not created by my hairdresser. But it doesn’t look that bad and I am really not upset about it.


But as I promised, I made an appointment with my doctor.


She didn’t seem to concerned. Like I did, she attributed the issue to all of the things I told my hairdresser: I wear a pony tail during my 15-20 hours/week of training; I am in a helmet for up to 8 hours a week (more after the recent data – see last post); and I swim in a chrloinated pool, in a tight swim cap, for 2-3 hours/week.


In any case, she ran the necessary tests and I will let you all know what she reports.


In addition to my hair, we also talked about the wee issue of my not having feeling in my fingers for over 3.5 months. Can you believe I almost forgot to mention this? I have gotten so used to it.


She was much more concerned about this issue. I am not a doctor, but I don’t think I agree with her possible prognosis of carpal tunnel syndrome. She referred me to a neurologist and (in 3 weeks) I’ll see what he has to say.


The doc mentioned the possibility of stopping cycling and also mentioned possible surgery. Ummm…no way. Ain’t gonna happen.


This is why athletes need to go to doctors who are athletes. What a preposterous suggestion.


I did tell her that back in June, after my wheels were stolen, I was off the bike for a week and it didn’t help. She laughed and said she’d make a note that impossibility was the only way to keep me off the bike. At least she has a sense of humor.


I will keep you posted on what I learn. Thanks so much for reading. It means a lot to me that for whatever reason you are keeping track of me.


It is flattering but it is more than that. I think many of my readers are friends who care about me. It really touches me that you are supporting me in so many ways, including keeping apprised of my journey.


It is also really neat when I meet a new Z-er like Marie this morning, who has read most of the posts on my blog. When I began to talk about my hair issue to her and (new Z-er) Nurse Chris during this morning’s run, I was saying how people who like my hairdresser who don’t know me are quick to question my nutrition. Marie immediately mentioned my addiction to this summer’s produce and how she agreed that my problem is not poor nutrition.* Nice! I love it.


*Note that I’m not saying there isn’t some deficiency in my diet. It is just that I get a little defensive when people (who don’t know me) imply that my nutrition might be poor. One of my biggest interests is health and nutrition. I spend a lot of time (money, and effort) preparing healthy meals for myself and making sure that I get sufficient fruits and veggies, whole grains, protein, and essential vitamins and minerals. I try to eat cleanly…meaning eating foods that are as minimally processed as possible (nutrition on the bike does not count!) Grrrr. Okay, rant over.


What I meant to say was: Thanks for reading! That’s all.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with your doc. I'm glad someone is taking a look at the numbness thing, but I know it won't stop you!

    You should publish some recipes for us! Every week I buy produce at the farmer's market...and sadly, every week i end up tossing some of it! bad bad bad!

    ReplyDelete