Saturday, August 22, 2009

New Zones

Some of you may be wondering what all this zone and heart rate training stuff that I’m always talking about means. Well, I can’t explain it. I honestly don’t totally understand the science of it. All I know is that by training in certain heart rate zones, you do some good stuff for yourself.


Okay, okay. I get it more than that. But I won’t get deeply into it. Here’s what you need to know:


HR Zone 2 is the fat burning zone. Not only is this great for those love handles, but since your body cannot burn glycogen (sugar) for very long, when you are doing endurance events ideally you want to be in Z2 burning fat as a source of fuel.


Who doesn’t want to burn fat???


Sounds good, doesn’t it?


Furthermore, the word around town is that if you stick with training in zone 2 (which for many people feels painfully slow), you will increase your fitness and your speed in zone 2. Enough smart and trustworthy people have told me this and I am on board with the system.


How about the other zones?


When you’re in the higher zones, you are burning more glycogen than fat. If you run out of glycogen, you bonk. (This usually happens within 1-2 hours, I think). Most people have experienced this. So the key is to keep the HR LOW. And by training in zone 2 for long runs/rides, you train your body to efficiently burn fat.


Occasionally in training it is beneficial to work in the higher zones – 4 & 5 (5a/b/c are the highest zones). Here you push yourself to expand your system’s ability to respond to an increased need for …oh, I don’t know…oxygen and stuff. I’m not a doctor or a scientist. I’m a lawyer. If you want to know more about the physiology, ask someone else. Or Google it.


Anyhow, that’s the deal in a nutshell. Got it?


Recap: Train most of the time in zone 2. Occasionally do speed work and push yourself in the higher zones for short periods of time.


Okay, so….


How do you know your zones?


The commonly recommended "220 minus your age" method is an unreliable calculation.


Some people used the perceived exertion scale (i.e., if you can say 5 words between breaths you are in zone 2). That is also pretty unreliable


The only true measure, according to many, is to get a VO2 max test.


The VO2 max has something to do with the HR zones. I won’t pretend I totally understand it or know how it works. All I know is that you go for this test and afterwards you know what your HR zones are.


My VO2 Max


Triathlon guru Ken Mierke is the designated ‘tester’ for the team. He’s terrific. He really knows his stuff. He is a former (world?) champion triathlete, a proessional coach, and exercise physiologist. He has all kinds of degrees. This isn’t an advertisement, but having worked with Ken for my tests, and gone to a couple of his clinics, I recommend his services. I know a couple of people who’ve had their bike fits with him and they seem pretty happy.


Back in March I had my run test. I got my data and have been training with it ever since. It has been working well for me.


Unfortunately, your run numbers don’t usually translate to the bike.


Ken hates when people ask him how to estimate their run numbers for the bike (and vice versa). The general rule he reluctantly shares is that bike zones are generally 10 (bpm) beats per minute lower than the run zones. Well, I think I only know one person for whom this holds true.


After struggling on the bike for 5 months in my estimated zone 2, I finally sucked it up and scheduled an appointment for the bike test. I was pretty sure that my zone 2 was lower than where I’d been working.


My delay was due to two reasons. First, the test is hard. I’m not gonna lie. I actually enjoy speed work, but the run test pushed me to my limit. That’s the idea. To see determine your absolute maximum HR. (Mine is 201.)


By the end of the run test, I felt like I struggling to get enough air with each breath (and it wasn’t because of the funky mask I was wearing.) But like with so many things we athletes do, the memories of that discomfort faded with time and I was game to do it again last week.


The second reason I delayed is because of the expense. It ain’t cheap. With the team discount, the test is $100-125. Worth it, but a hefty chunk of change.


The result?


Well, the test wasn’t as difficult for me cardiovascularly (is that a word?) as it was on the run. That is because Ken stopped the test a little before the end because, as he put it, the trainer "overpowered" me. (You put your bike on his fancy trainer, and it gradually increases the wattage (resistance) as time goes on.) My breathing was difficult, but not as much so as when I did the run. This time my legs gave out on me before my lungs did. [This was far more pleasant for me and I recovered a lot more quickly.]


For the trouble and expense I learned that my zones on the bike are approximately 20 bpm lower than the run.


I don’t get it!


Ken mentioned that leg strength is a factor. Hello? Not to brag, but this girl does not have weak legs. Have you seen my thighs? [Under a bit of flab] I've got some solid muscle.


I was a gymnast. And then a triple jumper on the track team. I’ve got power, baby!


When I hit the gym, I do 3 sets of 12 squats with 115 lbs. Not on the smith machine. With an Olympic bar on my back. Grunt!


How many chicks do you know who do that?


So why am I so freakin limited on the bike?


Anyhow, the impact of this result is that I need to slow down my long rides.


I know. [Whine!]

It is going to take me eons to complete my long rides.

But, I believe in the system.

I will do what I need to do.

Sigh.

I better bring extra nutrition because Sunday’s long ride (90 miles) is going to be a looooong one.

1 comment:

  1. wow, that is really fascinating stuff. I bet you see major improvements by following your new zone, although I'm sure it must be frustrating!

    btw, i had no idea you were superwoman in the gym! I guess you are already made of iron!

    ReplyDelete