Monday, August 10, 2009

Scorcher

I.

Got.

It.

Done!


Whew!

I was not dreading yesterday's 80-miler like you might have thought. Since 70 went so well, I just wasn't worried about 80. I arrived at Boyce, VA along with a large group of fellow Z-ers. Yet while I saw many of my fellow BOPers (Back-of-Packers), I didn't see any BOPers who are training for Florida, and hence doing the same distance as I. :(

Regardless, I got out there and got it done. I don't really have much to tell right now. Piggy's computer said it was 99-104 degrees out there. I think it was really around 95-98. Rolling hills. Nothing I couldn't handle. :)

The team SAGS were AWESOME! They were there when needed - like when I made a wrong turn and after quickly realizing it went to turn around and wound up trying to ride over a gravel driveway. In case you didn't know road bike tires and gravel don't mix. Hence I had a little bonding experience with the pavement.

Fortunately, I was just fine. Just a little bruised and dirty, but I was able to quickly get up and get going again. (After that my mantra for the ride was "gravel is not my friend.") Within a few moments Mike, sagger extraordinaire, appeared.

Mike was there many times throughout the ride, offering water, gatorade, and good cheer. What a guy! Later in the ride I got to see Chris and JR, who were sagging together. At one point I rode by Chris and he was standing by his car holding out bottles of water and a big box of cookies. I didn't partake, but it was an awesome sight and I knew if I needed either he'd be right around the next bend.

Then towards the very end Chris was my hero with an ice cold washcloth to wash the salt off my face. I put it on my neck to finish out the ride.

Of course, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Coach Ed's appearance around mile 68 when he came by to make sure we knew about the error on next-to-last turn on the cue sheet. We asked if he had ice and he directed us to the store a couple of miles up the road. When we approached the store we decided to just push on and finish up without stopping. What a pleasant surprise to hear him calling for us. He had gone in and bought a big bag of ice and kindly filled our four bottles, which all contained liquid that seemed hotter than the 98 degree air.

Do you get how awesome these people are? What's more is that when I finally got back to the parking lot where the team had been grilling and hanging out after they finished their rides, everyone cheered for me as I finished up the longest ride of my life. Chris W., also known as Kona Chris because he is a world champion who will compete again at the National Championships at Kona (Chris recently broke his own course record at IMLP, and continues to hold the record for his age group) came over to check on and congratulate me. He kindly brought me an ice-cold bottle of water that was exactly what I needed. Then when I got to the tent my other teammates were awesome - bringing me a bag of ice to put on my neck, and just generally taking care of me.

What am I forgetting? Hmmmm. Oh yeah ;) My Knight. Even though his training plan only called for 50 miles, when he learned that I was going to be solo for my last 25 miles (as I had been since miles 40 or so) despite my protests, he jumped on his bike and finished out the ride with me. I know it was painfully slow for him, but he stuck it out. Did I mention is was around 98 degrees at this time. So sweet!

All in all, a good day. I got really sunburned on my legs, arms and face. I am usually pretty good about the sunblock, but I guess I sweated so much that I should have reapplied. Lesson learned.

***

To follow up on the hair appointment thing... As I predicted, my hairdresser Karen did freak out about my hair. She is urging me to go to the doctor. She said my hair is falling out, and also breaking at the slightest touch. Okay. Okay. I feel like this is all probably pretty normal for training for IM, but I will be good and get myself checked out.

***

Now it is recovery week. Taking it somewhat easy now. This weekend is the Luray Olympic Tri for me. Woo-hoo.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Cat!!! I loved reading this post. I just joined Team Z (in my first week doing clinics and stuff) and is so good to read about how supportive the Team Z'ers are. Good luck in Luray! and of course in Florida!

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations! you are so impressive. so now i get to look forward to my hair falling out, too?!?! yikes.

    how was that breakfast concoction?

    team z does seem really great. i'm gonna have to move to virginny to train for my HIM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CAT,

    YOU ARE AWESOME. I was exhausted just running 4.5 miles in this heat. I can't imagine 80 miles.

    So nice to run into you last week. I actually ran into Beth this Saturday in Old Town doing my run.

    It is always nice to see a friendly face during a run.

    Wishing you all the best. Yes, please see a doctor about your hair.

    ReplyDelete