Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Bike Karma?

What the heck is going on with my bike these days? Did Ms. Piggy do something bad in a past life?

Last night was the team ride at McKinley (named for the elementary school at which we park). This ride alternates Tuesdays with the Conte’s ride on the team schedule. Somehow last night was my first McKinley ride in the five months since I joined the team.

The ride starts at the school and goes down a hill to get on the W&OD trail. From there we go west and it is a simple out and back. At the end you have the pleasure of riding up (and down) the very steep hill on McKinley Road.

Yesterdays workout was: Bike 45' w/u (Z2), 1 x 3' hill repeats Z5a/b, W/D. If you’ve been paying attention, you may know that this means That the first 45 minutes were in HR zone 2, followed by one three minute session on a hill (when you get your HR into the very high zones – 5a & b – almost at your maximum effort).

I got out on the trail with a small cluster of teammates who were slightly faster than I. I have had some issues with my HR monitor lately (long story/saga) so I went without any gadgets last night. Thus, I didn’t really know what zones I was working in. It didn’t really matter and it was kind of nice not paying attention to that.

I felt great out there. I was having such a good time just flying down the trail. Not hammering, just cycling. Efficiently. I was really excited that I was keeping up without too much effort. I was probably outside Z2, but oh well. And then…..

About a mile or so after the turnaround I heard a clink, and then my foot came loose from the pedal. What the…..?

I wondered if I lost a cleat. Nope.

I stopped and looked down and was shocked to see my left pedal was completely gone. (Yes, it is pink. Surprised?)






Right: the speedplay pedal.
Left: the pedal with a shoe "clipped in."
Below: the cleat which attaches to your cycling shoe.












I got off and started searching and found half of my pedal. A couple of kind teammates stopped to help and we all searched for the rest. (Thanks, guys!) Eventually I found the other half of the pedal but the hardware was no where to be seen. Who knows how far back it had fallen off.

So there you go. Another thing to buy. And I'd be willing to bet that they don't sell individual pedals so I need to pruchase a new pair. I’m getting kind of tired of this. Plus I need to buy new goggles (see my last post).

It is not just the cost – though I am just tired of spending all of my income on triathlon. It is also the time cost. Ugh.



Tonight I was supposed to spend some time with Mom (who is in town until my sister decides to take her home) but now I guess she’ll get to experience another aspect of triathlon with me – the endless draining of the bank account known as shopping.

Ordinarily I love shopping, but not when I am re-spending money on something I already owned that I shouldn’t need to be replace.

Okay, I am done complaining now.

I find the whole thing pretty funny actually. I rode the last few miles with only one foot clipped in (aka Single Leg Drills – SLD – this will come up in a later post for sure). It was uh, interesting. [Maybe that's why my right hamstring is tight this morning.] I did have to stop and walk when it was time to climb that hill. Just wasn’t happening one-legged.

So that’s my latest misadventure.

If you’re interested, here’s what is coming up on the schedule. Already did the track workout this morning (20' W/U, 3 pickups, 2 x 800 Z4 R/2', W/D), weights this afternoon. Swim tomorrow morning and bike tomorrow afternoon. “Rest day Friday” can’t come soon enough. (I’m exaggerating a little. I’m actually doing well this week. Still… who doesn’t love Friday rest days?).

This weekend has a 14 mile run and 70 mile ride on the schedule. Obviously I’ve run 14 miles before. Not too big a deal. The ride, however, will be my farthest yet (I’ll be saying this a bunch in the next few months). But here’s the deal….

This weekend I’m a going to be a sherpa. I’m supporting the knight at the Culpeper sprint triathlon. Soooo, the schedule has gotten a little messy.

I’m planning to get the ride in on Saturday, which means I don’t get to go with the team. If anyone wants to join me for a long slow ride, I’d love the company.

As for the run, I’ll try to get it done Sunday. I’m not really thrilled to have to run in the late afternoon, but such is the life of a Sherpa. :) I’d love some company for this, too, but I will probably just crank of up the iPod and make the best of it.

One more thing. No, not a fundraising plea. Anyone notice the countdown timer there on the left? See what it says? As of today, 100 days until IM Florida. Yikes!

I’m happy to say I am not freaked. I am pumped UP after reading all of my teammates Ironman Lake Placid reports from Sunday – the good, the bad, and the ugly. I am SO PROUD of everyone. Great job teammates! I can’t wait to feel the joy myself.

2 comments:

  1. that is so weird?! but your pedals are very pretty! and you are such a good friend to be a sherpa at a sprint! go you! i know you'll get those miles in. i wish i could run 14 miles ... but the last time i did that it was snowing out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't want to hear this but I spent over $10K for Ironman. Now that included Ironman entry, Team dues, a new bike (plus accesories), bike fit, pool passes, massages, physical therapy, trip to Zurich, and all expenses associated with other races leading up to Ironman. Now I'm wondering what I'm going to do with all of the spare money I should have now that it's over!!!

    ReplyDelete