Thursday, October 8, 2009

Bassman Race Report: The Detailed Version

For those who might be interested, here is a more detailed race report. If you'd like the short version, see the post below :)
-------
This race was to be my final “training race” for my upcoming Ironman. That means that I was supposed treat the race as I will Ironman and take it easy (stay in zone 2 the entire time).

This was my second half distance (my first was the Mussleman Half in upstate NY in July). That race was tougher because it was so hilly. Also, it wasn’t a team race so I didn’t have the incredible support of my fabulous team z-mates. I didn’t have a tent where I was served breakfast and lunch and could hang out and relax before and after the race.


Pre-race
All went pretty smoothly once we *finally* made it into the park. The traffic backup was insane, and once we made it into the park it seemed there was just no good reason for the delay. Just the the park employees making mass confusion. Grrrr.

I finally reached the transition area and began setting up. It was immediately apparent that this was a Team Z race. I think at least 1/3 to 1/2 of the half distance entrants were sporting the team green. Yeah!!! It was really fun catching up with everyone.

After milling about the team tent for a while and choosing not to succumb to the Reese’s peanut butter cups that were calling my name, I began trying to get on the wetsuit. I don’t think I’ll ever become a pro at suiting up in latex. Fortunately, I brought with me the “best sherpa ever.” He did an amazing job of getting that suit all cinched up just right. I’m a pretty lucky gal.

I made my way to the lake and opted to forego a swim warmup. The lake water was cold – in the 60s – and I had zero desire to swim any more than needed. I waded in to my knees and that was enough for me.

We were then summoned back up to the shore for a pre-race “briefing.” Right. This little speech was insane. I know the race director was trying to be thorough, but just thinking about it makes me chuckle. I think it was about the time that he was talking about the pothole at mile 18 that I left to go get a gu and a drink. I’m not kidding.

When I came back, he will still rambling, and then I left to go the bathroom. Yup, that means I had to get that wetsuit all cinched up again. Oops.

Eventually the RD stopped talking and we headed back to the lake. It was so much nicer getting in the water will my friends than being totally alone. We even took some pics, which I will have to post later.

Swim
Before the race I checked out the lake and evaluated the course. I thought it actually looked pretty doable. It looked long, but not unreasonable. Then I learned that it was a two-loop course. Great.

I started out right where I like to be – in the back. This is so much better than getting into the washing machine that is a triathlon swim start. I experienced no kicking and no attempted drownings.

About half way through the first loop I started getting warm as the water that had entered my wetsuit got heated up.

The good news is that my swimming actually felt pretty good. I was comfortable in the water. My stroke was decent. My sighting was much improved over past experiences. While most of the time I didn’t feel tired, I just wanted to get out of the water. I think I was just overwhelmed at the thought of doubling this distance in a month.

So I guess you can say I was bored and just sick of swimming. That should come as no surprise. I’m happy to say that I got it done and just like that I was rounding the final buoy.

I made it out of the water and glanced at my watch. I misread it and thought I had a PR. Although I didn’t, I think this was my best swim ever. It turns out this course was a bit long so that makes me feel a little better.

Right now I feel unprepared to double that swim in a month, but I have 5 long (90-minute) swims on the training schedule between now and then. Plus I have a practice 2.4 mile open water swim in Bermuda in 2 weeks…yeah!).

T1
Transition was a bit of a mess for me. I could not get my wetsuit off over my Garmin to save my life. A nearby volunteer even tried unsuccessfully to help me pull the wetsuit over my hand. All that did was bruise up my hand. Ouch. Once I finally removed the watch entirely, the rest of t1 went smoothly. Note to self, next time, just twist the unit off the quick release strap and hold it while removing the arm of the wetsuit. Duh.

Bike
It was a good ride. My plan was simple: stay in zone 2 and take in nutrition as planned for Ironman.

I don’t think I posted much about it here, but for the past few weeks I have been totally preoccupied with the thought that I will not make the bike cutoff in Florida. It is just that averages from my training rides have been so slow that it looked like it would be close.

I calculated that, assuming a 1:50 swim (realistic) and a 10-minute transition (we’re talking full clothing change here), I need to average 13.5 miles per hour in order to finish the ride by the 5:15 cutoff time (7 am start).

I am thrilled to say that I no longer worried (much) about this. I stayed in steady zone 2 and average 14.8 mph on the course. Yes!!! I hit the 56 mile mark in 3:45. [For some unkown reason, the course was 58 miles. Why????] So even if there’s wind, a potty break, and a slight slowdown at the end, I should be well within the bounds of completing the bike course in 8:15. Woo-hoo!

That is a huge confidence booster going into FL.

A few times when I was passed I would have a little conversation with myself. I would ask, “Cat, are you staying in zone 2?” I’d answer, “Yes.” “Well then, you’re doing exactly what you need to do.” It might sound a little crazy, but it helped and instantly I would settle back into my groove.

I even managed to pass a few people during the second loop. Actually, quite a few. And I wasn’t really trying. I was just maintaining my steady pace. So, all in all, a successful ride for me.

T2
Transition 2 was totally uneventful. Except for the dummy who put his bike in my spot. Fortunately he was standing there and I got him to move it. What the heck? Grrr.

Run
To be totally honest about it, this course stunk. [I can't get the crazy map posted so you can check out the link and look at the second map to see what I'm talking about.] It was very confusing and disorienting. Lots of trail running, including running on narrow trails where people were also running towards you. There were loops and out and backs. It was really tough mentally.

Fortunately for me running is my best sport. I embrace that and I push hard – staying in zone 2, of course. I stuck with the plan of 1 mile run, 1 minute walk almost the entire time except for a bit at the end where I stopped to talk to a friend who was having a hard time.

Overall, the run was tough but good. It was nice being able to run by the crazy team Z tent a couple of times. You could hear the ruckus from far away, including the horns and cowbells, but seeing it and hearing your name being called raises the experience to another level. Wow!

Just as I was finishing up, the Knight (and best sherpa) appeared. He had finished the run leg of a relay, but had ventured out cheer me on and tell me I had 800 yards to go. I told him I planned to sprint it and dared him to try to keep up. Hahaha!

Final time: 7:18.

Swim: 55:34 (1.2 miles +); Bike 3:52 (58 miles); Run 2:24 (13.2 miles)

Thoughts

I am really pleased with how the day went. Everything (that I could control) was spot on. It would have been nice to have more aid stations and a potty or two on the bike course but I made the most of everything.

Despite it all going well, as these races do, it took everything out of me. I find myself completely exhausted and sore, wondering why the heck I do this to myself. As usual, I don't sleep through the night for a few days afterwards. My stomach is upset. My muscles are tight and the training just keeps going.

While I know in my heart and my mind that I am going to be ready for Florida, right now I honestly wonder why I want to. Don't get me wrong, I'm okay. I will do this. I know it is just the fatigue talking. But in order to get through the next month - especially this week - I am telling myself that after Ironman not only do I not have to swim anymore, but I am not doing any more races. Well, except for that pesky Goofy Challenge I already signed up for.

I know that my spirit will be back soon…but right now I am so doggone tired. I am about to do a spin workout that calls for 30 minutes in zone 4, followed by 3 minutes in zone 5. Did I mention that I swam for an hour and a half this morning?  This weekend has a 20 mile run on Saturday and a 120 mile ride on Sunday.

Lately I've been joking that maybe our coach doesn't really know what he's doing with these training plans. No, really, I know that he does...but this all just seems so insane. 20 and 120 the weekend after a half?

I *am* excited for Ironman, I’m just humbled by how challenging this training has been. It is one thing to train for a marathon and gradually increase your distance. When I was marathon training, I would do a long run one week, and the next one was a week or two later. Lots of recovery time to bask in the glow of accomplishing your last long run.

Ironman training is a whole other story. I guess we are training ourselves for such a monumental task that it requires pushing yourself hard over long periods of time.

The good news is that next week we begin to recover and taper. Whatever that means. I've looked at the training schedule and it doesn't seem all that easy to me. Yeah, there are no strength workouts over the next 4 weeks. Yay. But there's still speed work at the track (8 x 1200 Z4 - seriously???) and 90 minute swims.

I'm just being honest here. I'm really okay. I'm just totally worn out. I hear this is all normal and I am embracing that.

Yes, I'm ready for Ironman. And I'm also ready to be done.

Maybe I'll write a post about what I plan to do when I am finished...

[Can someone please direct me to this post if I *EVER* start talking about doing this again? Thanks in advance. :)]

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are more than ready - GOOD LUCK!! Enjoy taper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cat,

    Woo-hoo!! You are more than ready! Enjoy your taper and all that you have accomplished.

    Patty b.

    ReplyDelete