Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Almost single digits!

It is with mixed emotions that I announce:


10 days to Ironman!!!













People have been asking me how I’m feeling. Overall, I’m doing great.

I admit to being mildly Ironman obsessed these days. Seriously, every aspect of my life is revolving around the upcoming race. All of my thoughts and energy are somehow related to the big day.

  • I am excited! I can’t wait to get to Panama City. I rented a sweet condo overlooking the beach, only half a mile from the race site. It is going to be so cool to get down there and do all of the race prep and be with my teammates and our supporters.

  • I am happy! While I have felt very supported over the past 6 months, as the date approaches I am feeling wonderfully overwhelmed by all of the people that I know are cheering for me. Long time friends, new friends, teammates, even people I don’t know who read this blog… It has been truly AMAZING.

  • I am energized! I didn’t believe it when you said it, but all of you who told me that the exhaustion would give way to energy and excitement during the taper period were right. I am raring to go..

  • I am freaked! I can’t really imagine that I will race for as long as I will, but I know I can do it. I think this contributes to my instinct to pack everything I own “just in case.”

  • I am nervous. I’ve been listening to a recorded version of Coach Ed’s IMFL prep talk (thanks, Ryan!). I’ve been listening to it a little at a time, but I honestly find that it is causing me stress pain in my stomach. It is crazy.

  • I am READY! I am going to give it everything. I am confident in myself.

As a side note, I had the privilege of spending some time with (triathlon guru) Coach Ken Mierke last week. He told me that he knows I will be fine. Maybe it is because he is a two-time world Ironman champion, or that he has coached 15 world champions to victory, or that he has personally conducted my own VO2 max tests, but whatever it is, it calmed me. I believe him. I will be fine.

There are so many people I want to thank…and that will come later. Right now, I want to say a special thanks to the three people are making the trip Panama City to support me on race day:

Oli – I don’t know what I would do without you. You are the sherpa-extraordinaire.

Joe – You’ve been a wonderful mentor, going so far as to effectively diagnose my swimming problem via my blog. You got me into this and you have seen me through the journey.

Dr. Keith – My muscles and my mind thank you. Your help has gone way beyond fixing my tired body and I appreciate your ongoing physical and mental therapy.


5 comments:

  1. so exciting!! can we track you online?? I too know that you can do it! No doubt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very exciting can't wait to hear about your experience of going through this-WOOT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no doubts about your ability to get this done! I so wish I could be there but I'll be here tracking you and watching for the moment that you become an Ironman!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cat, I'm better late than never to the world of blog reading, and am so excited for you and all the other Zers! What better endorsement that you're ready to go than from Ken!! Enjoy the weekend and see you soon, Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm thinking of you this week Cat!
    ~Jill

    ReplyDelete