Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Bassman Race Report - Short(er) Version

This race was to be my final “training race” for my upcoming Ironman. It was my second half distance (my first was the Mussleman Half in upstate NY in July). Everything went according to plan and I am feeling great heading into my final month of training.


Pre-race
All went pretty smoothly once we *finally* made it into the park. I got myself together, including getting suited up in the wetsuit. The “best sherpa ever” helped me really get it sinched up well.

I decided not to do a swim warmup. The lake water was cold – in the 60s – and I had zero desire to swim any more than needed. I waded in to my knees and that was enough for me to confirm that was plenty.

Swim
Before the race I checked out the lake and evaluated the course. I thought it actually looked pretty doable. It is long, but not ridiculous. Then I learned that it was a two-loop course. Great.

I started out right where I like to be – in the back. This is so much better than getting into the washing machine that is a triathlon swim start. I experienced no kicking and no attempted drownings.

About half way through the first loop I started getting warm. My swimming was actually pretty good. I felt comfortable in the water. My stroke was decent. My sighting was much improved over past experiences. While I didn’t feel tired, I just wanted to get out of the water. I think I was just overwhelmed at the thought of doubling this distance in a month.

I made it out of the water and glanced at my watch. I misread it and thought I had a PR. Although I didn’t, I think this was my best swim ever. I feel unprepared to double that effort, but I have 5 weeks to get there (plus a practice 2.4 mile swim in Bermuda in 2 weeks…yeah!).

T1
Transition was a bit of a mess for me. I could not get my wetsuit off over my Garmin to save my life. Once I finally removed the watch entirely, the rest of t1 went smoothly.

Bike
It was a good ride. I am thrilled that I accomplished my goal here – by a wide margin - which is a huge confidence booster going into FL. The course was not exciting (read: boring) but I kept my pace, stayed in zone 2, and got it done.

A few times when I was passed I would have a little conversation with myself. I would ask, “Cat, are you staying in zone 2?” I’d answer, “Yes.” “Well then, you’re doing exactly what you need to do.” It might sound a little crazy, but it helped and instantly I would settle back into my groove.

T2
Totally uneventful. Except for the dummy who put his bike in my spot. Fortunately he was standing there and I got him to move. Grrr.

Run
I’m trying to be positive but this course stunk. Very confusing. Lots of trail running. Tons of loops and out and backs. It was really tough mentally.

Fortunately for me running is my best sport. I embrace that and I push hard – staying in zone 2, of course. I stuck with the plan of 1 mile run, 1 minute walk almost the entire time except for a bit at the end where I stopped to talk to a friend who was having a hard time.

Overall, the run was tough but good.

Final time: 7:18.

I am really pleased with how the day went. Everything (that I could control) was spot on. It would have been nice to have more aid stations and a potty or two on the bike course but I made the most of everything.

Despite it all going well, as these races do, it took everything out of me. I find myself completely exhausted and sore, wondering why the heck I do this to myself. While I know I can get through Florida, in my current state I can’t imagine doing so.

I know that my spirit will be back soon…probably tomorrow after a good night’s rest. I have one month and one day until Florida. I am focused on the goal and I will get through the next 32 days.

I *am* excited for Ironman, I’m just humbled by how challenging this training has been. This weekend will be my 20 mile run on Saturday and a 120 mile ride on Sunday. The good news is that after that we begin to recover and taper. Deep breath. I can’t wait.

Stay tuned for an enhanced, detailed race report when I get the energy to post it.

2 comments:

  1. NIce work Cat! A solid effort and PRs while racing in Zone 2! That has got to be a confidence booster right? Keep up the good work and as Coach Ed said to me "Don't Blow Off the Taper!" and you'll be ready for IMFL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job. You'll be exhausted by the end of the weekend (try to take Monday off of from work). But by the week of the race you will be itching to go! Taper ROCKS (but don't skimp on the workouts)!!!!

    ReplyDelete