Monday, November 2, 2009

Getting Close

It is just 5 days away now and I am actually pretty calm. Thankfully I had a very nice, restful weekend which gave me a glimpse into life after Ironman training. It was lovely!


There was a 2.5 hour rainy ride on Saturday and a 1-hour run on Sunday (which I did on the treadmill and didn’t even have to leave my building). Somehow this left me lots of time to do normal people stuff like *gasp* go to the movies. It was wonderful.

Just two workdays left until I fly to Panama City. I think I must be blocking out thoughts of race day because I’m really excited.

Despite suggestions from others not to, I started thinking about how far 140 miles really is. Thanks to Google maps, I’ve determined that the distance I’ll cover on Saturday will be the equivalent of going from DC to Philadelphia. Now, that sounds far!

But it isn’t freaking me out. Just making me proud that I have trained to conquer the distance. The Knight keeps saying “You are ready” as though he is trying to convince me. But I don’t need convincing. I AM ready!

For those who’d like to track me throughout the day, you can do so at Ironman.com (my bib # is 2398). Supposedly on race day there will be a link to watch the action live.

I am pretty much packed and there’s not much left to do. I’ve been reading various articles and one that stands out is 7 Need-to-Know Ironman Florida Tips from Active Triathlete.


One of the interesting tidbits is a reminder that sunset will be at 5:30 pm. That means that right around the beginning of my marathon, it will get dark. Wow. I just can't imagine running almost an entire marathon without daylight. I kind of knew this already, but it is just so crazy to me. Joe mentioned something about glow sticks. I’ve always loved those. Hopefully they’ll have them.

So, that’s it. Looking forward to a 30-minute run later today. I'm hydrating and even set a little reminder on my Outlook calendar that pops up every 15 minutes to remind me.

Just counting down the hours now…

5 comments:

  1. Great attitude! Don't be nervous. The hard part -- all that training -- is done. You are prepared so race day should be the celebration of your achievement. Stick with your race plan, know that things will go wrong but that you can adjust, and look forward to the sound of Mike Reilly tellng you that YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just watching you and I'm so excited I can barely stand it! You are so ready and I know you're going to make it through the day and at the end you will be an IRONMAN!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It may be the distance from DC to Philly, but think of all the traffic you'll avoid by doing the ironman instead of driving up 95!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a new Team Z'er I cant wait to be in your shoes and ready to do my first full Ironman. Good-luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck from a fellow (albeit much shorter distance) Florida runner! :-) Wow! You must be soooo excited!!

    ReplyDelete