Wednesday, September 30, 2009

My relationship with swimming

I know it is taboo. But I have a confession to make. I hate swimming. I know, it is shocking.



It was almost two years ago when I began swimming regulary. After only a few months I explained to a friend how I felt about swimming: I hate going to the pool. I hate getting in the water. I hate swimming laps. I hate getting out of the water. I hate getting showered and ready at the pool.



So that about sums it up.



As time has gone on, the strong feelings have lessened, but I still really dislike swimming. I’ve gotten better, and that helps, but I just can’t seem to learn to love, or even like it.



Sigh.



Monday night I went to the P!nk concert. It was so great! I knew ahead of time there was no way I’d make it to the 5:30 am swim practice. Therefore I planned to swim after work instead.



All day I dreaded it. When it came time to head to the pool, my feelings about swimming intensified. I just couldn’t bring myself to go. So I didn’t.



I don’t really feel that bad about it. Well, a little bad. But not bad enough to make up the workout.



My current feeling is that after Ironman I am just may give up on swimming.



Next year I can run and bike, and I can do relays at the races with my teammates. That wouldn’t be so bad.



I mean, I’m all about self improvement. I know I won’t get better without time in the pool. But isn’t two years of suffering enough?

5 comments:

  1. If your feelings don't change after Bermuda, I will volunteer to be your permanent swim relay buddy.

    I have the same feeling for running as you do for swimming so I understand.

    But Bermuda might change things... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Cat - we really are WonderTwins...I like playing in the water but I hate swimming too...Every-time I get in the water for a triathlon, I aways think "What the heck am I doing here?"

    I don't know why it never occurred to me to try Dualthons until your post! LOL..but until November 8, 2009 - See you at the pool "Bright and Early.."

    PS - I skipped Tuesday too, I thought 2.4 miles on Saturday was enough to get me to Thursday..LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. make that triplets! You pretty much took the words right outta my mouth! (except i might give up swimming without the ironman thing first... :) )

    ReplyDelete
  4. If it is any consolation, I am not the biggest fan either. I managed to do my half iron on a very minimal amount of training and still did alright on the swim (it is actually my stronger leg). I think it is those memories of swim team...getting in the pool, standing on the pool deck, getting out of the pool. I just don't like being wet. Kind of makes swimming a challenge. Don't be too hard on yourself. You've put in lots of miles over the past few months - you are going to be great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dislike it too...and on more than one occasion I've talked myself out of going. One particular day, I had all my gear, had self-talked to myself all day, ate food to fuel the upcoming swim workout, even drove all the way from Ft. Belvoir to the Lab School..parked the car, turned the ignition off....sat there a few moments..then decided not to swim and drove all the way back home. How ridiculous, huh? We've all been there...it's ok.

    Don't get down on yourself. The swim is a necessary evil to this sport we love. Just gotta get it over with. Don't sell yourself short about giving up on swimming after Florida. If triathlon is something you love to do, you'll find a way to grin and bear it and realize that it's just a stepping stone across the river.

    ReplyDelete