Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Back to Myself

Someone, ahem [my sister Laura], has told me that she doesn't read my blog because my posts are too long. Fair enough. I know they're long. Heck, you should see all of the stuff I leave out.

So fine. I think I'll start inserting a nutshell version at the beginning of each post. Okay?

Nutshell Version:

I had a tough weekend but now it is recovery week. (That just means I work out less and not as intensely.)

I intentionally skipped last night's bike ride because I just didn't feel like it. My body said the couch would be better so I listened.

Today I had a great run.

I'm glad I rested.

How's that, Lau? :)


The longer version:

I was drained. Physically, mentally, and emotionally. And despite last night being the final Conte's BBQ of the year, I just had no energy to devote. So instead I made myself comfortable on the sofa and began reading "Becoming an Ironman," which my friend Joe so kindly loaned me a few weeks ago and after reading my last blog post gently urged me to start reading.

I felt mildly guilty about skipping the workout, but since I swam in the morning and it was a recovery week, I let it go.

Today I took a midday break to go for a run in this absolutely gorgeous weather (mid-70's and sunny). I had an awesome run. I just felt so good. I wanted to run faster than zone 2 would allow, and I yielded to the HR monitor. Afterwards I felt invigorated and athletic.

I am really glad I listened to my body and rested. In the long run, I think I am way better off.

The book is great. It contains short essays by athletes from all walks of life who've attempted Ironman. I think that was the first time I've sat down and read (when not on vacation) in over a year. Yikes!

I really appreciate everyone's support this week via my blog, email, and facebook. It is great to know that others have gone through this.

2 comments:

  1. i don't think your posts are too long at all! (but then again, you should see some of my epics.)

    I missed you at the last bbq. It wasn't my finest hour for several reasons but the ride was fun. I'm a BIG proponent of listening to your body. the body knows best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cat,

    The posts are perfect. The details are what make them great. Maybe Laura could just speed read through them :)

    Glad to hear you rested. You have put in some phenomenal training and when your body tells you it is tired, it means it.

    Enjoy the rest of recovery week!

    Patty B.

    ReplyDelete