Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Keep on keeping on

I know, it has been a while since my last post. All is going fine. Thanks for the reminders to post an update.



Nutshell version:

--My new bike stuff didn’t work out exactly as I hoped but I am still working on maximizing the potential.

--My hands are still numb. I am a bit bummed out that the neurologist didn’t really have much to offer other than painful tests and far out follow up appointments.

--I purposely skipped a couple of workouts and the coach prescribes even more rest since my body seems to be saying it is needs rest (and food).

-- 110 bike miles and 18 run miles are on this weekend’s agenda. I am looking for a route and for slow training partners.



Here’s the rundown:



Bike stuff

  • The new bike geek stuff wasn’t quite what I hoped. As for the gel flask, the chocolate gu needed to be greatly diluted in order to flow through the flask. It was pretty gross! Think about trying to dilute frosting. Yuck. It tasted like gritty chocolate syrup and it made me choke. I plan to try other gels and see how they do. Any suggestions?

  • I haven’t quite worked out the aeronet thing yet. Regular bottles did not work, and my aero bottle just arrived. I’ll work on it and report back.

  • The salt stick apparently only holds three s-caps. Hmmm. I guess I could have read that in the description. I haven’t done a long enough ride yet to need them. But it installed pretty easily (or so I am told – hahaha).



Training

The weekend

  • Last weekend I skipped my workouts (yes, intentionally) and went down to Williamsburg to cheer for the knight and my teammates for the Patriots Half iron-distance race. It was a great weekend and I’m extremely proud of the knight for becoming “half a man” as he likes to laughingly remind me several times a day in a cartoon narrator kind of voice.

  • Although my schedule called for an 18-mile run and 110 mile ride, I decided to postpone them (read: blow them off) until next weekend (see more below) and instead do a short run and ride this past weekend. But oops, I forgot my running shoes. So I took a rest day Saturday while I watched the race and did a measely 16-mile ride on Sunday. Then I rested again Monday [because I had not yet hit the Adidas outlet where I got two new pairs for about half of what I usually pay. Score!]

  • I only feel moderately bad about the missed workouts. I have reminded myself that it won’t stand in the way of crossing that finish line in Florida.



This week

  • This morning’s track workout called for a 10-minute warm up (which means I run from home to the track), followed by 2 2-mile repeats in zone 4. Tough stuff. (Last week I misread the schedule and did the 2 2-mile Z4 repeats followed by one mile in z4. Oops. That workout actually comes later in the month.)

  • Anyhow, today’s workout did not go as well as it could have. Last week’s times for the 2-mile repeats was approximately 16:30 and 17:30. This morning was 18:00 and 19:45. The second one was *painful*. Lungs hurt. Legs felt like I was wearing ankle weights. I was nearly in zone 5 running at a 10 min/mile pace. What happened?! I made myself push through and told myself I didn’t have to run fast but I did have to keep running and stay in zone 4.

  • Afterwards I had a little chat with Coach Ed and he said (I am paraphrasing here), my logic was wrong and I should have stopped. We talked a little bit and determined: a) I should rest a little; b) I probably shouldn’t be trying to watch calories at this point since I need energy to train at the level I am.

  • I know…it makes perfect sense. I just thought…well, now would be a good time to focus on losing a little fat (just a little). Sigh. I know what you’re going to say, so no comments…





Numb hands saga

  • Last week I went to see the neurologist and I was really depressed after my appointment.

  • The good news: He is a cyclist and he didn’t tell me to stop biking.

  • The bad news: The cause is likely compressed median nerve(s) (as Dr. Keith said). At this rate, it will either heal within a year of the injury (by May) or never. I may need surgery.

  • He ordered a test which sounds pretty unpleasant involving needles and electricity and such (and EMG). While they could schedule the test next week, the soonest follow up appointment to examine the results is October 7. Ugh. I don’t yet know how much all of this will cost and I am partly inclined to just ignore the whole thing and just live with it. The doc recommended wrist braces to keep my wrists straight to allow maximum healing. I'm just not in a hurry to add that style to my wardrobe, nor am I excited about sleeping in them.
  • See why I was so grumpy afterwards?



Regardless of all of the above, things are good. I am feeling ready for what lies ahead and I am excited about becoming IronwomanCat. I am grateful that unlike my tri-club friend Tuan, I am healthy and not injured and I can continue training to meet my goal.



This weekend I will make up the 18 mile run and 110 mile ride. Believe it or not, I am looking forward to it. The run more so than the ride, of course.



I need to find somewhere flat to do my 110. Right now it looks like a choice between the W&OD trail (convenient but a pain with all of the obstacles) or driving 90 minutes out (and back) to (and from) Easton. There are a couple of organized century rides going on this weekend, but I don’t think any of them are the requisite flatness. Any ideas or suggestions?



If you would like to join me for all or part of my (slow) ride on Sunday, let me know. It would be nice to have some company.

4 comments:

  1. I think Cambridge, MD is closer then Easton and you can do the Eagleman course (described on-line). That's what Jason, Robin, and I used for our long weekend.

    Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you sound right on track! thanks for bringing us up to speed.

    sorry about the neuro thing. at least it doesn't sound life- or Ironman-threatening. You're always an inspiration, cat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good job on training I was thinking on Easton too will see if I make it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cat,

    Sorry to hear about the neuro thing but I am confident it will settle down once you are done training.

    No bike riding but I will be running 18 miles on Saturday in Reston.

    I am glad to hear you are resting. That does wonders for even better results.

    Keep up the good work!

    Patty

    ReplyDelete