Saturday, September 26, 2009

EMG

It is 2 am. I cant sleep so I'm doped up n a sleeping pill. Why not try to type this anyhow. I should be asleep.




I don't know what EMG stands for though I do have some current suggestions. It just sucked!



The test was two parts. The first part was electricity (they put sensors on different parts of my hands and arms and shot me with varying levels of shocks to determine where the problem is located).



Nahhh [chest out]... I am an Ironwman [to be], I can hande this.



The tech listened to me and told me what he was going to do, and how long each part would take. My kind of guy. He answered all of my question and was compassionate and conversational. He shot me with electricity and when the senseation got intense I focused on breathing and the second hand on the clock. He said that many people usually stop him 10 minutes into the test, but not me, I an an ironwoman!!



The hour passed and I was happy get the first part done. How bad could the needles part be? The doctor who did the needle part of the test told me it is like a acupuncture needle. Right. I've never done acupuncture, but it looks really gentle on tv. This was not gentle.



The doc stuck the needle into my hands and arms one at a time and asked me to engage the muscle by pushing on his hand. The needles felt like they were going deep down into my muscle. With each prick I would hear the sound waves on the computer. I was breathing. I was surviving. But it hurt like hell.



In an unexpected change of events, the doctor announced that he needed to work on my neck. He gave me a couple of different options but at this point I was pretty worn out. I just told him to do whichever was the least painful.



So I laid face down with my chest on a stack of pillows and my head hanging off the front. Then the real fun began These needles were deeper and way more painful.



When they got to the area of my neck where I have chronic issues (diagnosed as a pinched nerve years ago) things seemed different. My professional diagnosis (I haven't been given one yet) is that the source of all of these finger/hand issues is my neck. When each needle was inserted you could hear the sound waves but when he put worked on the left part of my shoulder/neck, the sound waves were different. Quieter. And the doc stayed there for much longer than the other areas - maybe 20 seconds versus 5 in other spots.



It just sucked. The pain was so intense and ongoing (1 hour for the electric portion, 30 minutes with the needles). I will never make it as a torture victim. That hour and a half took everything out of me. The doc rushed out and when he closed the door I just starting sobbing.



Believe it or not, I still hurt. When I left there I felt like I got stung by a swarm of bees. Painful welts all over my neck, shoulders and arms. The one on my spine actually has a huge swollen lump that is sensitive to the touch.



I never want to do that again. I think that was the most painful experience I've ever had. I hope I don't have to do it again. Ever.

3 comments:

  1. Hang in there Cat -- this sounds awful. I hope it is all worth it and that it will help them diagnose your problem ....
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw Cat, what an awful test. Let's hope after all that you had to endure, they can give you some answers. Sending you a HUG! ROCK BASSMAN this weekend!! Wonder-twin Powers ACTIVATE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ack, sweetie, that sounds horrid! Have you heard anything yet? Sending you my good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete