Friday, September 4, 2009

I'm a bike geek!

This morning it hit me. I've become a bike geek!

My order from trisports arrived yesterday. I was so excited. Thanks to their email offering me 15% off everything, I got a whole bunch of little items that I never know I needed.


What did I get?


Don't laugh.


The first item I ordered is an aeronet. I'm sure this thing will change my life.




It holds a water bottle (purchased separately from Nashbar b/c trisports and the local shops didn't have it) AND stuff on your aero bars.

Why I need it: currently I overload my jersey pockets with food, bags of infinit, phone, etc. And I already have a big bento box. I use it to hold gels, bars, pills, etc. I don't know why, but it is always full.


So with the aeronet, if it works, I can hold an extra bottle of water, a banana (which I've been reluctant to put in my jersey so I haven't taken one), and other goodies. Now do you understand?





The next item in my goodie bag is a gel flask (with an adorable little holder thing that attaches to the bike).

Teammate Ryan was explaining to me how he uses his to mix up gels with water and protein powder for a convenient snack on the bike. While I don't think I'll go that far, I think it may solve my problem of taking gels on the bike.


Since I am not quite ready to ride with no hands, this might allow me to take the gels one-handed without leaving so much gu in the packet. Now I am a mess.



I do like my chocolate gu and hope that diluting it a little doesn't decrease the yumminess.






The next exciting item is a salt stick. I know, I hadn't heard of it before browsing around tri-sports, either.

The picture is of the big version. I got the mini version which should fit my road bike. You take out one of your handlebar plugs and stick the stick in there. If it works properly, I should be able to give it a little twist and out will pop one of my s-caps.


I'm looking forward to not trying to deal with opening a baggie or pill box while riding.


I am hoping that this isn't too difficult to install or use. We'll see.








This is all about trying to get maximum nutrition as quickly and easily as possible. I'm psyched. I post about how the new purchases work out. I am going to try them this weekend on my nice, easy-breezy 20-miler.


Oh how I love recovery weeks!

PS - I did get a couple of pairs of socks, too. And yes, I realize that all of these items aren't that bike-geeky. They're more tri-geeky.

2 comments:

  1. I love it! I'm not biking much yet, but Im looking forward to getting all sorts of toys for my bike as well when the time comes!

    Loved your last post. Good for you for listening to your body and taking a break!

    Enjoy your oh-so-short ride this weekend!

    Take care,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. come back, i need an update! hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete